SSC Tuatara | Speed, Price, Records, and Specifications: Today we will be talking about the amazing limited-edition and incredible car which recently has been added to the list of top 10 fastest cars in the world. The hypercar we will be talking about is an SSC Tuatara, manufactured by a North American company popularly known as SSC North America, formerly known as Shelby Supercars Inc. SSC tuatara is the successor to the SSC Ultimate Aero. This supercar has a goal to beat the world’s speed record which currently is owned by the Koenigsegg Agera RS with the top speed of 278 miles per hour. You must be thinking about Bugatti Chiron Super Sport.
But I want to make you clear, the Koenigsegg Agera RS is currently the official world record holder of the fastest production car. However, the new Bugatti Chiron Super Sport did go faster on their test run, going 304.77mph. The car is a modified Chiron, however, there are 30 in total going into the market so it will be a production car. It didn’t go both directions on the speed test due to safety concerns and therefore its speed test doesn’t count as official.
Table of Contents
Design and Development
SSC Tuatara is a good-looking car with an unlimited number of features and specifications and is shaped like a sharp nose accompanied with a V-shaped bonnet and big headlamps with the latest LED technology. It is designed expertly and perfectly by a North American company popularly known as SSC North America, with minimum aerodynamic stresses. So, it can achieve maximum efficiency and effectiveness. This car is named after a lizard in New Zealand.
The company plans to produce 100 units of the SSC Tuatara. It takes about 4 months to create the car and costs $1.6 million.
SSC Tuatara Records
- SSC tuatara might break the record of supercars, i.e., Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 300, Koenigsegg Agera RS, Koenigsegg Jesko, etc. and is going to be the fastest production car in the world. The company hopes that Tuatara will reach the top speed of more than 300 mph.
- Its predecessor, SSC Ultimate Aero, also broke the speed record of its time. The SSC Ultimate Aero broke the speed record in 2007 by reaching the top speed of 256 mph / 414 kph. Then, this record was occupied by the Bugatti and later, it was taken by Koenigsegg. Now, SSC claims to take that record back from Koenigsegg.
- The company not only aims at achieving the highest speed record but also want to break other performance records. The supercar would accelerate from 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds and complete a quarter-mile in just 9.75 seconds.
- SSC North America also claims a drag coefficient of 0.279, very less as compared to other supercars.
|Engine||5.9-litre twin-turbo flat-plane V8 engine|
|Dimensions||4633 mm X 2065 X 1067 mm (L X W X H)|
|Power||1350 horsepower and 1750 horsepower on E85|
|RPM limiter||8800 per minute|
|Ground Clearance||4.0 in|
|Coefficient of Drag||0.279|
The hypercar is powered by a 5.9-litre twin-turbo flat-plane V8 engine reaching a top speed of more than 300 mph. Its engine is invented in partnership with Nelson Racing Engines. This car weighs 1347 kilograms. The interesting thing about this car is that it can generate more horsepower than its weight.
It is capable of generating enormous 1,350 horsepower and a maximum 1,750 horsepower on E85 fuel (Ethanol), found in many places located in the United States and Europe. We were shocked to know about Koenigsegg One to One that it has one horsepower for one kg of weight. But you would get crazy to know that this supercar produces more horsepower than its weight.
SSC Tuatara is going to be the fastest production car in the world. So, to ensure the safety and stability of both the vehicle and driver, it’s aerodynamics must be taken into consideration. To avoid aerodynamic stresses, this supercar is designed expertly and perfectly. So, it can achieve its goal with maximum effectiveness and efficiency. SSC North America also claims a drag coefficient of 0.279, very less as compared to other supercars.
The SSC Tuatara is powered by a 7-speed transmission, capable of shifting gears in less than 100 milliseconds.
Now, comes the most interesting part of the article. The SSC Tuatara features a driving mode selector. A driving mode selector features Sport mode, Track mode and Front lift mode. The driving mode can be selected according to the driving conditions. Every mode helps in lowering or raising the suspension level, helping the driver to drive and handle the car perfectly in different driving conditions. The suspension can be lowered or higher to improve the performance.
In front lift mode, the front suspension is lifted an additional 40 mm, allowing for clearance over speed bumps or other raised surfaces whereas, in track mode, the suspension is adjusted to offer extreme track-level handling while lowering the front ride height to 2.74″ and the rear height to 3.25″.
|Front Lift Mode||FRONT: 4.0″ + 40MM|
|Sport Mode||FRONT: 4.0″|
|Track Mode||FRONT: 2.74″|
When the driver presses the accelerator completely downwards, a pop-like sound bursts from the exhaust of the car.
The company aims at achieving various performance-based goals. The tuatara is going to be the fastest production car in the world by reaching a high speed of more than 300 miles per hour. The supercar would accelerate from 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds and complete a quarter-mile in just 9.75 seconds.
The SSC Tuatara can generate a massive and maximum torque of 1735 Nm with a displacement of 5.9 L. SSC North America also claims a drag coefficient of 0.279, very less as compared to other supercars.
I hope you have liked the article related to SSC Tuatara, will comment below and share it with your friends and family. This helps in motivating us and bringing good content for you.
- Koenigsegg Jesko | Speed, Price, Records, and Specifications
- Koenigsegg Agera RS | Speed, Cost, Records, and Specifications
- Parker Solar Probe | Fastest man-made object in the world
- Bloodhound | Fastest Car in the World
- Cadillac Cyclone XP-74 1959 – Concept car
- What are a rocket and its uses – How do rockets work?
- Lightyear one – Car on solar energy and Long-range electric car
- How big is the Universe? | 93,000 million light-years
- Helios 2 – Second fastest man-made object in the world